Dye

Standard

No, not die. Dye. I’ve been doing a bit, as you’ve seen with the lace sampler scarf I knit myself. What I’m showing here are some of the colours I’ve managed to come up with. All these samples are done with plain old Corridale fiber.

Lemonade Pink

That’s one of my very first dye jobs I ever did, and it still makes me want to eat it. Or drink it. Whichever. It’s a very nice pink, but I prefer a softer one when knitting stuff up, so I don’t see myself ever using this for anything.

Various oranges/reds

For the above, we have more of my experiments with red/yellow. While I don’t usually use these sorts, I did find it very useful for figuring out how the dye works. From left to right, we have Orange, Sherbert, Ginger slice (like those slices of ginger that you get with sushi), Watermelon Pink, and Dusky Rose.

Leperchaun Green

This is exactly what the caption says. It’s a pretty straightforward green–not an even split of blue and yellow, but it did give me an idea of just how silly bright yellow is.

Peacock Blue

This is the original Peacock Blue, which obviously came out much paler on my scarves, and also a lot more mixed. As such, either I need to increase my dye strength with that amount of yarn or take into account all my samples will most likely be much darker than yarn. Personally, I’m not opposed to doing a stronger dye or redying as needed; and I also like seeing what comes out at this point based on method.

Princess Purple, Royal Purple, and brown (left to right)

And now we have the most recent of my dyes. Princess Purple is a very red heavy purple; it seems far more girly, and instantly reminded me of the purple of a princess’ bedspread on the cover of a book I once read. The Royal Purple is excellent in my opinion–not too dark, but also not so red anymore. It took much longer to do than the Princess, primarily due to how blue heavy it is. The brown is… well, just that. It’s a very nice brown, but I didn’t realize just how strong the red was in the bath until too late. I’ll probably dye over it later with more green, as I was going for a dark green.

Some general notes on dyeing so far:

Blue takes much much longer to soak up than red. Salt does in fact make for a more even coat (I used some to soften up the water prior to making the Royal), and adding a little vinegar at a time is also a pretty good method (which I used for the Princess).

If the dye isn’t taking up anymore, but you think it could, add some more vinegar. Vinegar is always the answer. Except when it’s not.

Red / yellow will always be very strong colours, so take that into account–you’re going to likely need less of them than you ever will blue.

Redyeing something is also an option–to make it darker, to even a coat up a bit, or just to fix a colour you don’t like.

Stirring up the dye can help make for a more even application–just be aware of whether what you’re doing is going to felt, and if you can afford that. I’m pretty generous with my stirring/mixing with the fiber samples, but I also line the fiber back up while it’s still steaming hot when I pull it out so that if I decide to spin it, I can.

Note down dye lots. I haven’t not done that yet, but I hear it can be a bitch if you do a pretty awesome colour you’d like to replicate.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s